Tuesday, June 13, 2006

What Happened to "G"?

So...because if I smell a bargain I have difficulty resisting it, I bought 60 movies at Blockbuster...Yep...60.

Actually, more than 60, I think.

For $2.99 each.

All VHS.

All previously viewed.

I happened in the Blockbuster down the street to rent a movie, and saw a little sign...

Clearance $2.99

Apparently, they were getting rid of some of their older VHS movies. You know they are not getting VHS anymore...it's all going to DVD. Probably for the best.

I looked at the movies and there were a few that we had seen that I knew my kids liked...

"The Goofy Movie"
"Swiss Family Robinson"
"Madeline"
"Justice League"
"Pippi Longstocking"

and a few others I can't remember.

So I took them to the check out, and asked the girl if the other stores were doing this too. And she told me where the real gold mine was...about 15 miles away. So I bought the movies in my hand, and purposed to go to the "other" store the next day.

Quietly...

No need to alert everyone else...

I drove to the Blockbuster...walked in...and there it was..the motherlode.

Everything from the old "TeenAge Mutant Ninja Turtles" (movies 1 and 2) to Cody Banks (movies 1 and 2) to "Blue's Clues, the Movie".

I bought everything that I thought my kids might ever want to see...thinking "This is cheaper than renting!" I even got some stuff that was kind of iffy to me...thinking that Greg and I would watch those first and make sure that they were OK.

So the other night, we decided that rather than rent a movie ourselves, we would watch one of our $2.99 stash...

The newer "Freaky Friday".
Rated PG...mild thematic elements and language.

The old one had Jodie Foster smoking at one point...

So I thought "maybe not for the younger two, but maybe for Darth (I am now using my alias names for my children, remember?)

...so we are watching...and there are some kind of unnecessary things, probably enought to nix the whole movie for them all...and then, there is a scene

where the (girl) teenager's pants

hung
too
low

(in the style of the stereotyped plumber)

and she yanks them up...not aghast and embarrassed, but with a big sigh, like"How many times is that going to happen?".

What is with THAT?
Did anyone rating this movie want to mention THAT in case I didn't want my 10 year old boy seeing it?

Then we watched "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"...together

Rated G

The back cover states (and I am picking around here for the sake of length)

"uplifting, thrilling story with a heart touching message that emerges from the comedy and song"

Emerges from the comedy and song....hmmm.

Here is the phrase that needs to be bolded and italicized and underlined...

"the evil guardian Frollo"

I mean...

"the EEEEEEE-VIL guardian Frollo"

and then this...

"Heroes, villians, comedy, suspense, music---it's a joy to hear and a wonder to behold...Children will adore it"

hmmm...

Did I mention the evil guardian Frollo?

Frollo is a nightmare...

he chases (on horseback) a woman (running) until she trips and has a fatal fall.

He almost drowns her baby...

he keeps Quasimodo in the bell tower and fills his mind with poison.

When he sees the heroine for the first time (dancing ;-))...he later has an episode where he is clearly out of control in his lust for her. Not like the villian twirling his moustache and telling the damsel "Marry me" while he ties her to the railroad tracks... No...it's a creepy kind of a deal.

Frollo looks for her all over the town...the town is being burnt down and in case you wondered if the people had run away, there is a scene where he locks a family (with children) inside their house and sets it on fire.

Toward the end, he finds her, and as he is practically drooling on her, he forces her to choose him or being burned at the stake. Not surprisingly she chooses the fire.

It was pretty dark, I thought. It all comes out OK in the end, but that one won't make a repeat play at Krempl Family Movie Night, I'm afraid.

(you may be wondering why I didn't just shut the whole thing down...and I probably should have. I had a little hint that things might get a little dicey when the evil guardian Frollo was walking though a hall that had about 300 grim reaper types standing on either side...I sent them in to get their dessert then (when he was having his "moment" about esmerelda...the converations in the tower seemed to blow past them...they didn't seem to get the fire part...they were actually watching for the gargoyles for most of the movie...thankfully)

Anyway, it is just interesting. My kids see probably 10 rentals a year...so we haven't had that much motivation/opportunity to see what is out there.

But I am glad that we saw The Hunchback...because it reminds me that there is never really a time that we can think, "Well, that's probably OK."

Maybe when they are 30 they can see it again...after all, I was 40 when I saw it for the first time. :-) But they will have to go and rent it...this copy is going in the trash.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i completely understand. ronnie and i are adults and we are VERY, VERY picky what we watch. anything with sax or nadity (ok, so I spelled them wrong on p urpose so you don't get some, like odd comments up) are totally out! SO that limits are viewing pleasure.....to kid movies.....

8:44 PM  
Blogger kjam22 said...

You bought 60 VHS tapes for $2.99? That's ..... hmmm... 6 times 3 is 18.... and stick a zero on it.... WOW.... :)

Here's my solution for your problem. (I know you're just dying to hear it) :)..... Get a digital movie camera (you probably already have one)... and then start filming everything. Film you kids doing all sorts of stuff. Drive to Lake Overholser (you could do a yahoo maps thing to help you find it) :).... and then film them feeding the ducks. Or spend a day at the lake Dam. Film them swimming or playing baseball, or just whatever.

THEN..... transfer those to DVDs. All kids will always like watching videos that have them in them :) And if you want to be real creative find someone with a music studio and have them mix in music on your DVDs. Maybe some GOTH music or something for soundtrack on the scary one's :)

8:12 AM  
Blogger Don said...

Angela,

I believe G stands for "GASP!" The true rating went out the window when Disney started pushing the envelop in the 90's. Movie makers are the same people who think CNN is a news network, that Sharon Stone is a medical expert, and polls should direct our lives.

We bought "Robots" and it was not suitable for children. There was too much innuendo. The same with "Madagascar". These could have been great for kids if it weren't for the Hollywood mentality.

"Fat Albert" seems to be good. Unfortunately, I'm not a good movie watcher. Unless it's Hitchcock, I'll be surfing the net, reading the news, cleaning the kitchen, or wishing I was doing something else. "Robots" and "Madagascar" must have been FULL of objectionable content if I caught it during my multi-multitask movie viewing.

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my. So jealous of your great deal! Our video store went to all DVD several months ago, but they didn't replace all their videos with DVDs, which is a bit disappointing.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Don said...

A really good movie, for parents, is Hitchcock's "Rear Window". It's full of suspense. It's got Grace Kelly, Jimmy Stewart, Grace Kelly, Thelma Ritter, Grace Kelly, and Raymond Burr. Frank Cady, the guy who plays Drucker on Green Acres, is in it as well as Grace Kelly.

You may even approve of it for Darth.

12:34 AM  
Blogger Tracie Nall said...

Reading this made me remember when I saw Hunchback--and I have to agree with you. That is not, let me repeat-NOT a kid friendly movie.

I want to find the Blockbuster that is sellign DVD's for $2.99--wouldnt' that be great?

1:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home