Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Purim at the Krempl's

To those who have done it before, apparently there is more to this Purim thing than met the (my) eye originally. I thought it was just cookies, noisemakers, reading the story of Esther.

Then a friend invited us to her home for Purim. "It was a good reason for a party" she said (they have done Purim a number of times, I think). She suggested that we get the kids dressed up as some of the characters for the Purim party.

I tried to envision all of this...these friends of ours are really artsy, and I thought that they were making it a drama (literally) because they are very comfortable with that kind of thing, which is very cool.

Our plans for the week (because it is Spring Break) were getting cumbersome. I wasn't sure that our youngest would understand all the costumes...so we decided that for this year, less was more.

THEN I went and checked a few more places for Purim stuff...and it does seem to be, a big carnival type of day with costumes, playacting, huge meals, etc. And some groups (not my artsy girlfriend) even condone quite a bit of imbibing as part of the celebration.

I had no idea what I had been missing. And will miss again this year...all we have are the cookies... and the story. And a pretty nice dinner...but not a feast.

Oh...and the noisemakers.

I think that the kids will still like it. And we can look at doing more of it (if we want to...again it is not a holy day that God said to keep every year or anything) next year.

Happy Purim...(Merry Purim?)

Vitamins are supposed to be here tomorrow.

Amazing Race tonight.:-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home