Thursday, March 09, 2006

Preppin' for Purim :-)

Last year our family celebrated Passover. It was fun researching it and getting ready with all the foods for the Seder and we even used a Haggadah that talked about Jesus and His last Passover before being crucified. I will probably talk about this more as the time nears for that, in April, but I wanted to give my readers (hee hee :-)) a heads up that Purim is next week.

Purim is the holiday that highlights the story of Esther. If you have never read the story of Esther (in the book, Esther, in the Bible) it is exciting...and everything pretty much happens in a very satisfying way. There are the good guys and bad guys and it moves along at a fast pace to the very end. If you want to be able to read it easily, read it from the Message. You can find the Message at Bible Gateway, on my links, and just put in Esther and click "The Message". Some of it is downright funny.

Any-hoo;-)...a friend of ours mentioned that Purim was next week, and I had totally missed that. We were just waiting for Passover! So I went and looked up Purim in my Biblical holidays book, and also at www.holidays.net. There are lots of holidays that I wouldn't use this for exclusively, and I am expecting you to have some sense about that. But there are kid-friendly things here that we will use, like the cookie recipe.

So...a fun time if you want to try it. And a good story. And an excuse to eat cookies and make noise...what could be better than that?

2 Comments:

Blogger kjam22 said...

Boy.... if a person doesn't blog for a few days they can get really behind on your blog. :)

So Purim is a new term for me. I'll have to read up on it a bit :)

See you guys Sat night at Swadley's.

8:04 PM  
Blogger angela said...

You know, I have a couple of books on biblical holidays, and I think that this may be one that the Jewish people just kept as a tradition because it commemorated their victory...BUT I have not found a place where it says anything like, "God said to keep mark this day always..." like some of the other ones (Passover, etc). So we are doing it, and it will be fun, but I am going to have to research that further.

See YOU Saturday...with Scott! Yea!:-)

6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home