Thursday, October 26, 2006

Thursday Thirteen #17


Thirteen Things about My Recent Gardening Adventure



1 The first thing to know is that I am not a gardenener.

2. Much like the aspiring cook who thinks one can put salt or sugar in a recipe because they look the same, I really don't have a clue what I am doing with plants.

3. So, 2 weeks ago, I was a WalMart and thought that maybe I should get some pansies...

4. I got purple and yellow, because we are kind of Vikings fans (in addition to being Sooners).

5. I brought home the flowers, and felt pretty good about myself, envisioning a completely transformed front door area, alive with splashes of color.

6. I did not notice the clouds that were gathering...

7. Once home, todder and I took the flowers to the are in which they were to be planted.

8. We fought over who was going to use the shovel...she cried.

9. As I began to move rocks (the previous owners liked those decorator stones and used about 1.5 tons in all the beds of our front and back yard--ugh) to expose the dirt, I found that plastic that prevents weeds.

10. Under the plastic, I found a tiny bit of dirt and another 3 inches of rocks. I had no additional dirt.

11. It began to rain.

12. 2 weeks later, I finally had another opportunity to plant the pansies, which were all wilted and sad looking.

13. Armed with a bag of dirt, I pushed the rocks back...yes, now there is a big hill of rocks toward the back of my flower bed. And I planted those near-dead flowers. Darth (10 years old and having never seen flowers in our yard) commented how pretty they looked, As they lay horizontally on the dirt with the mountain of rocks in the background. And I watered those flowers as if they might be alive....Someone told me you can't kill pansies. We'll see.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!




Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



13 Comments:

Blogger armywife said...

i don't have an especially green thumb and have always had good luck with pansies

happy TT

6:36 AM  
Blogger Chaotic Mom said...

Listen, I LOVE gardening and I still can't tell you how many plants I've killed. WAAAAAAY too many. So don't feel bad, you DID IT! You have them in the "ground". More to work on next season, eh? ;)

I've posted my Thursday Thirteen, too. Enjoy!

7:23 AM  
Blogger Meira{FB} said...

Bone meal or Blood meal for pansies. They'll do fine. They really don't take off till spring.

Happy TT!

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't like gardening myself. I even prefer frutis over flowers *lol*

8:19 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

I'm not allowed to touch anything green and living...I tend to make it wither and die!!

9:37 AM  
Blogger Caylynn said...

Good luck with the flowers! Hubby and I have black thumbs, so we've managed to kill every plant we've ever owned. :(

Happy TT. :)

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somehow I feel less alone now.

:P

Happy TT!

10:23 AM  
Blogger Christie O. said...

i'll keep your pansies in my prayers! i have the brownest thumb in the world, i have killed almost everything i've ever bought. i'm trying to turn it around and keep some mums alive that i just bought the other day. fingers crossed. good luck!! happy tt!

11:12 AM  
Blogger Slackermommy said...

I love pansies especially since they are hard to kill.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Kimba said...

I am sooo terribly with plants! Good luck with the pansies though!!
Hope you've been well!!

1:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good luck with the flowers! I can demolish any plant I have found!
Happy TT!

1:11 AM  
Blogger Irish Church Lady :) said...

Thanks for your visit. I may have to try what you recommmended! LOL

I hope your pansies stay alive. You must be in a warm climate. Alls I'm thinking about here is pulling up my flowers and mulching the perennials. The operative word being "think". lol again

7:28 AM  
Blogger Don said...

That's a sweet story. I about fell out of my chair laughing it was so sweet.

You need to talk to wifewoman (she who must be obeyed). She has a green thumb loves to talk about gardening.

She can plant faster than I can mow it down. I don't like yard work but I like the way it looks.

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home