Monday, August 21, 2006

Faith is...

I heard this a few years ago in church and it really helped me, because I am simple and need concrete thinking...so I thought it might be something you would like to read...

Faith is not presumption, it is not walking on thin ice, going out on a limb, doing something crazy, wishful thinking, or even positive thinking. Faith is the trusting response to the revealed will of God.

Faith is demonstrated by trusting in a promise God has made to me. When I believe in a promise God has made, my faith guarantees that I will get it.

To me, this says that "faith is believing what God said in His Word" and the more we know about His Word (in context and correctly interpreted, of course:-)), the more empowered we are in our faith.

This is one of the reasons I love Scripture memorization. If you can repeat to yourself what God says in His Word, that supercedes whatever other thoughts you might have about a situation (my thoughts...)

What do you think? What do you think faith is?

4 Comments:

Blogger Irish Church Lady :) said...

Very well written.

Faith to means that he's always there, watching and ready to listen. He leaves me to my free will, ever patient and loving. And ready to take me home, whenever he so chooses.

9:11 PM  
Blogger kjam22 said...

I always like to quote Hebrews 11:1 as it reads in the revised standard "faith is the confident assurance of things unseen".

I think the NIV says "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."

Romans 10:17 KJV says "faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word (RHEMA) of God. In verse 20 of the same chapter Paul quotes Isaiah "I was found by those who did not seek me, I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me"

I think faith is a gift from God. I think it comes from God. As Ephesians says "for by grace are you saved through faith, it is the gift of God" I think this verse means our salvation and our faith are gifts from God.

Jesus says, "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him” (John 6:44). So then my Christian walk began with faith, and I received that faith from God through His Holy Spirit communicating with me.

Hebrews 12:2 says "Let us fix our eyes on Jeus, the AUTHOR and perfecter of our faith"

Romans 12:3 says "For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not htink of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith GOD has given you"

You know... just being honest... I don't think my faith was born in my own thinking, or rationalization.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Kimba said...

I've been a firm believer for a very long time that there is a difference (but obviously connectivity) between Faith and Religion. Religion is the community within which you choose to practice your faith. Faith is that unconditional belief in the higher power that is God, to whom we place our trust for all that is, all that has been, and all that will be. The belief there is someone who knows better for us than we know for ourselves, and will guide us down that path.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Thistle Cove Farm said...

Faith is knowing when I pray the prayer that never fails, "Thy will be done", it will always be answered in His time, in His way and for my good according to His riches in glory.

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home