Thursday, August 03, 2006

Thursday Thirteen #9



Thirteen Venues of Employment





1. Montgomery Wards 1980 Christmas and 1981 Summer-I worked as a sales associate in the Shoe department, in Children's and in the Women's clothing. I can remember a few times going back to see if we had a certain size of shoe (when it was closing time or close to it) and just standing back there...then returning to say we didn't have it. I was 15/16 at the time, and didn't always have the best work ethic.

2. Sears-1984 This was a summer job, stocking for a new store opening. You could wear whatever and as long as you liked those who were stocking with you, it was pretty good...

3. Oral Roberts University on campus employment- 1984 I felt a little guilty that my parents were paying so much for college, so I thought I might get an on-campus job. I am not sure that they even know about this. I had no office skills, so the only job that was open when I looked was cleaning the bathrooms on my floor. That lasted exactly one day. Ugh and Ugh.

4. The Uniform Shoppe- 1986 (note the "e" at the end of "shop"...makes it almost seem fun, doesn't it?) When I knew I was getting married, I got this job. I worked it my senior year in college and the following summer. Not hard, but oh-so-boring...The shoppe :-) was in a mall, and almost nobody came in there. Of course, I had to look busy, but how many times can you clean a display?

5. Broken Arrow Assembly of God Church- 1987 I graduated in 1987 with a degree in Elementary Education. I don't remember why, but there were no jobs to be had. This was a brand new school (coming out of this church), was not accredited and the first grade class was the oldest. We did everything...stayed with them at lunch, did their PE and Music, recess...no breaks at all. Good experience and gave me something to compare all future teaching jobs to.

6. Discoveryland! Summer 1987 and 1988-This is an outdoor theater that does Oklahoma! every year. I was the Box Office Manager. This was a pretty good gig, as we just took orders during the day and money at night. By the time the show started, we were closed up and counting the money and able to leave by 9:00. Monday-Saturday.

7. Grove School 2nd grade 1988-1990-This was my first (and second) year of teaching at an accredited school. They paid me as a 2nd year teacher until it came out that I hadn't been "certified" (this was just ignorance on my part...I thought that they would know that my former teaching job was at an unaccredited school).

So while the job was great (teachers for special classes, lunch break, planning period) there was a period of time when they garnished my check so tht my salary would reflect first year teacher. That was tough since this was med school time for my husband.

At this time, I also drive a school bus in the morning and afternoon. A big bus...:-)

8. Riverfield Country Day School- Summer 1989 I was co-teaching a class of four and five year olds. This was a pretty good job, as we did alot of field trips, swim lessons, etc. There was always a theme for the week.

9. Monte Cassino Middle School- 1990-1992 5th-7th grade music. I had enough music credits in college that I could teach music if someone wanted me to, and they did.

Of course, most of my experience was performance, so that is what we did. Show after show after show...

I didn't have kids then, so I spent alot of time on my job. This was probably my favorite (pay) job of all time...and almost $7000 more than my previous job. I felt like I had hit the big time.

10. Riverfield Country Day School Summer 1991-Bus Driver and Kitchen Help. The previous summer I actually had a class, but this summer, all I did was cart kids back and forth to swim lessons, and help get snacks and lunch out...and wash the dishes. I really liked this because for the most part, it was a break from kids.

11. Baltimore Actor's Theatre and Conservatory- 1992-93 Greg was doing his internship this year, so we were in Baltimore. This was a small school for children with an emphasis on the performing arts. I taught 4th-6th grade school subjects and a drama class for 1st-3rd grade. I also did shows on the weekends with the grownups.

12. Facillitator at Harvest Fellowship-1994-95 This was kind of an artsy church...interdenominational...had 200 people when we started attending and grew to about 1000 in that year. I was in charge of all children's ministries (getting workers, materials, etc), helping the music leaders, and helping the men's ministry people. When I found out I was pregnant with Darth, I gave my notice...it was good timing.

13. Mom-1996-present This has been a great job. Kind of long hours, but good perks:-)






Links to other Thursday Thirteens!




Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, so many! I can't come up with that many, been a mom for too long and liked that job and now don't want to go back to work!

7:48 AM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

You've been around I should say.
My TT13 is up too.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Carmen said...

Montgomery Wards - I'd forgotten all about them. Are they still a store? They all closed in VA

8:13 AM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

and you know that the hardest one is the last one!!!

Happy TT!

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!

9:12 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

we share #1 and #13 in common.
my tt is up.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Don said...

13 jobs and so many different places. I had one once. This time I visited your site before looking at mine and seeing who else visited. Susan Hayward is on TCM. She's so dramatic. I'll tell you about my week later.

Don

12:23 PM  
Blogger Kimba said...

Awesome to learn so much about you! Do you miss teaching? Do you think you'll go back to it? Are you children interested in performing? I've taught theatre for years, and have often considered going back to get my teaching degree to do it in schools.
My TT is up...and finished finally!

1:49 PM  
Blogger Frances D said...

You've gotten around.
I've lived in the same zip code for 42 years!
Have a marvelous week.
Frances

4:55 PM  
Blogger Meira{FB} said...

Wow, my job list isn't that long!

Happy TT

5:10 PM  
Blogger Raggedy said...

That was a good list!
I enjoyed reading.
I think this is a great idea for a TT.

My TT is up

7:04 PM  
Blogger Trish Ess said...

Sounds like a varied list. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

8:14 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

Wow, lots of jobs!!! Happy TT!

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like my own job journey...
I also cleaned our floor in college. It lasted a semester.

Just wanted to say Hi...drop by my blog sometime.

Schoolmarm32
Http://lifesplats1969.spaces.msn.com

1:45 AM  
Blogger Natalie said...

What a small world! I think I work for the same company as your friend. :)

11:01 PM  
Blogger Natalie said...

It's an awesome company. I love the team I work with, which is a great thing since I spend the majority of my daytime hours with them! :)

The song "It's a Small World" is running through my head now.

11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems like you've had some interesting jobs, and that you've been willing to even work two jobs at once to keep the funds coming in too. Good for you.

I think I might have quite the bathroom toilet cleaning job after a day too.

Thanks for your visit.

3:37 AM  
Blogger Traci Anerson said...

Oh good...a Christian...and so many ministry jobs...it sounds like you did not care for number 12...that was my favorite...besides that of being a mom.

3:50 AM  
Blogger Traci Anerson said...

I like the name of your blog. The Bereans were most noble...searching the scriptures daily...

3:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home