Friday, April 28, 2006

Kinesthetic Learner

For my fellow Elementary Education major readers, I am a kinesthetic learner...Not really a visual learner, not so much an auditory learner...I learn the best by experiencing things...especially if I am tired. And I am kind of tired right now. I have a cold, or allergies, or something...my grandfather had his surgery yesterday (remember, Bud-flowers...Joe-coffee:-)---Joe looks better, by the way...and who but God would put my best girlfriend's dad at the hospital where I was going to be?) and I went up and back for that....this weekend looks to be busy, next week looks to be kuh-RAZY busy...so my attentiveness to spiritual matters is not at its highest, I don't think...

But yesterday, as I was coming home from Tulsa, there is a spot on the highway that makes a Y...you can get on the turnpike (which is what I wanted) or you will take another non-pay road. For those who don't already know this, one of my obvious deficiencies is that I could not navigate my way out of a paper bag. So when I passed the right part of the "Y", I was a little concerned about how to get back to where I needed to be. Then I saw a sign that said 44W (my turnpike road)...

"Ahhhhhh," I thought..."I think I can still get on and be OK..."

I drove and drove...and I wondered if I had missed it.

And I drove.

Then I whizzed past a sharp turn that had no warning signs that it was coming that said "44W". I almost couldn't believe that was it. But as I drove a little more (and into a town), I realized that had to be it. I didn't see the turnpike anymore, which had been alongside of me...So I turned around.

As I drove back, I thought, "I kind of know where the turn with the sign was, and there will be one coming this direction, too."

As I approached the turn, there was no sign. But I really felt that was the turn, so I took it. As I made the turn, I saw a blur of 444444444444444444WWWWWWWWW...but the actual road wasn't right there...I had to go down an industrial road and around a factory...and again, I wondered if I was even going the right way.

But then I saw another sign for 44W and eased onto the turnpike.

With almost no gas.:-)

Not too far down the road there was a gas station. I got my gas, and with a full tank and a carb-laden snack, I headed home...the rest of the trip was uneventful.

So, as I was thanking God for helping me to get back on track, I thought, "How many times do I just get distracted and miss the "right" way? And how many times does God help me get turned around and find the way back? And how many times do I have to just have faith that the turn is the right one? And when I am just about to give up, how many times has God given me what I needed and more besides? Pecan pie and a Diet Dr. Pepper...how much better can it get for a non carb eater (normally...)?"

Don't get crazy...look to God...have faith that He will lead me...I'll probably have to learn it again tomorrow...but it was a good reminder for yesterday:-)

Have a great weekend...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally understand your post. I too am horrible at driving, as far as directions. but anyway, i also understand trying to find God's direction and being scared.

1:54 PM  
Blogger kjam22 said...

I was wondering about you yesterday. I remember thinking.... what would happen if there was like a detour or something that took you off the "previously learned path". Seriously. I was wondering if you'd be able to make it :)

Kristina.... some people are bad at driving directions. Angela leads the league in that category. I could give you a couple of specific examples.... but I won't :)

So Angela... the moral of the story is always keep plenty of gas in your tank, the pedal to the metal, watch for the signs, and then trust what they say.

Glad your back safe and sound.

8:25 AM  
Blogger angela said...

Yeah...see I guess I should have explained that gas part...I was downtown in Tulsa (I actually used to live in Tulsa, but not downtown) and there were no gas stations that I saw at the time that I was leaving that were on my previously ordained course...and I knew there was a gas station on the highway...I just thought I would be to the highway before I was...

IF I had made sure I was absolutely full before I left to go to Tulsa in the first place, that would have been optimal, I guess...but I was running a little late.

Thanks Kristina, for the reassurance, although apparently I am the far and away Queen of Directional Incompetancy;-):-)

And BTW Ken, nice wondering, but not calling to check or anything...
:-{...toad.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Tina@ SendChocolateNow said...

That was a good post. We have a great God, and he is great at object lessons.

That would have stressed me out, though.

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home