Monday, April 24, 2006

Matthew 6:20

QUICK REPORT-Talked to Kenny...his pain meds are wearing off, but the surgery is still a "go". Hopefully he will get to go home tonight or tomorrow. May hear something this evening. If I do, I will post it here...
*****************************

But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.

You know, when I used to think of moths, I thought of the butterfly's ugly stepsister who flitted around lights at night. And if I thought of them in the vein of distruction, it was with the idea of clothing...but generally I felt sorry for them, didn't kill them, tried to put them back outside so that they could flit around the lights in the evening.

So when a couple of relatively tiny moths got into my kitchen, I didn't think too much of it. At least they weren't disgsusting flies, right?

Then, within the week, I saw a few more in my cabinet. Hanging upside down like bats. "Well, a couple of moths flying around in the kitchen is one thing, but I can't have a whole moth family" I thought to myself. So a squashed them...which was pretty easy, because they were sleeping.

But then there were more...I made quick work of them, but they seemed to keep appearing. Finally one day, I decided that I was going to have to bite the bullet and go through that cabinet. So I took EVERYTHING out...looked in everything. Found what I think were their breeding grounds (ick), threw those away and put everything that was OK in ziploc bags. You know...so that any living moths would have no food.

I still was kind of in a state of disbelief...I had always been kind to moths. They are soft, they don't sting...I never thought of them as spreading disease (I'll have to check on that one)...how could they turn on me like that?

But although that cabinet stayed clean, the story was not over....somehow, word(?) got out that we had a walk in pantry in the laundry room.

For a couple of days I knew that they were there...but I had so much to do, I just couldn't make myself go through all the pantry stuff...after all, it was a PANTRY...instead, I just got out the vaccuum and sucked them up. And by the way, that works really well. They are so dumb they just hang there and wait and it seems that either it kills them or they can't find their way back out of the hose.

It didn't take care of the problem, though. They kept re-appearing...it was like a nightmare movie or something. And Friday/Saturday, there was all that stuff with Kenny and I just wasn't thinking "moth patrol" and when I went into the pantry Sunday, they were MOCKING me...not behaving themselves hanging from the ceiling...NO NO...they were flying around, flitting on things...

They had picked the wrong day for that. So I got out a trash bag and started looking through everything. Found their little hidey-holes, threw out some stuff, put the rest in ziploc bag and SUCKED UP THOSE RENEGADE MOTHS!!!!

I will never look at moths the same way again.

So here is the application (besides the obvious)

1. All the food was worthless if I had not secured it in some way as to keep bad stuff from ruining it. The same thing is true with our treasures, whatever they are. We may be thinking that we are using them completely for the Lord, but it doesn't hurt a thing to stop every once in a while and see if there are any parts of our treasures that are being messed up by other things (using them for ourselves in some way, using them for some improper purpose, etc)

2. If we find that there are moths in our treasures, don't short cut the process of getting rid of them. I used the vaccuum cleaner, but I also bought some "moth traps" from the Home Improvement catalog. It did catch some of them, but it did not eradicate the problem. It was not until I took the time to go through all my stuff that I was able to rid us of the moths completely.

3. If we have other areas of our lives that are not properly sealed up, the corruption can simply move from one area to the other (like from my cabinet to the pantry), so we need to be mindful of that.

Wasn't that icky??? :-) but it's over now...moving forward....:-) :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home