Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Final Thoughts on Passover

While I will be working on some Passover stuff (I mean 'preparations'...I got kind of a little bit of a comment from a friend who is very serious about anything affiliated with Passover and was somewhat taken aback when I called it the Passover thingie) tomorrow, Thursday is going to be very busy, because my son's class is re-enacting the Oklahoma Land Run that day and I am going to be performing with Greg at that event (thingie:-)).

So today is probably my last thought to you on Passover. This is our menu for the dinner...

*Potato Pancakes (I am still deciding what recipe to use for this...I think it will depend on my time...these are the appetizer)

*Matzo Ball Soup (this is new for us and comes from a box--eeeek! But I thought we should try it....probably not a very good effort...I'll let you know)

*Lamb (I have been told that Orthodox Jewish people would not do this, but it's part of the story, so we are...)
Lamb recipe that I am using

*Zucchini (Cut in half, salted to leech out the water, brushed with butter and Parmesan cheese and baked in the oven at 375 for about 45 minutes or until it looks brown on top)

*Peas (frozen peas cooked in the microwave with a blob of butter mixed in...I know...really fancy:-). But if I fancy them up too much, my kids won't eat them)

*Potato Casserole
Potato recipe that I am using


*Flourless Chocolate Cake
Flourless Chocolate Cake recipe that I am using

Then there are the food that are eaten during the Seder.

Karpas (parsley and salt water)

Matzah (which I made last year, but I have some friends who told me I did it wrong...I didn't use yeast, so don't worry about that..:-)Here is a recipe link, but they have a disclaimer as well.
Matzah recipe link
So this year I just bought some. It says not to use on Passover, either...we are.

Maror-this is horseradish. I just buy a jar at the store.

Charoset-When I made it last year, I just chopped up some apples, pecans, grapes and added some sugar. Here is a recipe that is probably more authentic.
Charoset recipe


By the way, Charoset sounds like it would look and taste not-that-good, but it's pretty good, especially after the horseradish.:-)

And the grape juice.

Tomorrow, I hope to put our Good Friday night activities out here, so look for that (if you want to...)

Happy cooking!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I just started checking out your blog. What do you guys do? I suppose you are making a special dinner for Good Friday? I've never done that...

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home