Thursday, March 30, 2006

Functioning Again

I fully expected this to happen...you tell people that you are going to make an improvement, and the bottom drops out.

Sooooo, I am purposing to 'expect wonderfulness...'I am standing in front of the mirror Wednesday morning giving myself "the talk"...

"This is going to be wonderful. A day with no toddler responsibilities, a day with my daughter, a fun place (???? maybe....) This is going to go well."

And as I am speaking these words to myself, I reach for an eyebrow pencil...because someone on TV told me (well not actually me...you know what I mean) that as we get older, our features fade, so with a light hand, we should bring some definition to our faces...

I begin to draw in some "definition" and when I finish the first brow, I realize that I am not using "blonde"...I am using "bronze"...Bronze brows...with metallic flecks. I take a toothbrush and try to brush it out. And do the other one...I don't have time to start over.

The weather is humid and gray. As I arrive at the school, it begins to rain. Inside the room, the teacher announces that they are still trying to decide whether to go or not. They call the Little River Zoo, and the zoo personnel say that they are willing to do the tour if we want to come...and that the rain is supposed to pass through.

So on we go. Greg made a map for me, which was good because I somehow didn't get started with the group. But the map was excellent and I made it no problem...that was empowering:-). The girls (mine and 2 others) sang songs from Barney the whole way. At the zoo, it rained on and off, but the kids didn't seem to mind. I already looked wilted (except my brows, which were quite well defined) so I just followed through the tour with the other parents.

After the zoo, we went to a park for lunch. It was cold, but again, the kids were good with it, and in fact (and this will surprise you not) wanted to take off their jackets as they got to playing.

On the way home, my daughter and two other girls had a pinecone (which they kept calling a "porcupine") that they were fixing up for their teacher. They stuck a dandelion in the top and wrapped a baby wipe around it (it was now a baby). It was sweet how they wanted to have something for the teacher as a remembrance of the day.

After school, we went to ballet, had a quick kid dinner, then on to a dazzling array of church activities.

When we arrived home at about 8:30, I had truly hit the wall. I didn't care if I ate dinner, didn't care if the kitchen got cleaned up, didn't care if I took a shower...I know I used to go at this pace when I was teaching (15 years ago), but not recently.

But my daughter came in to the living room where I was lying (laying? I can't remember) on the couch and gave me a big hug and kiss and said, "Mom, I'm glad you went with me on my field trip." So sweet....all in all, pretty wonderful.

Know what else is pretty wonderful? One of the duos from my Amazing Race Hit List took the fall. Not that ridiculous Eric and Jeremy, but Dani and Danielle. It wasn't pretty how it went down, but at this point I will take it. 3 left to go...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you are printing off this journal. Wish I had a word picture of similar days in 1971 with my kindergartener. Fun to read about her now, though, 30 something years later (metallic eyebrows???). One thing occurs to me, as I read.....when you know you are going to write things down, you pay attention to what you are experiencing. I love it!

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home