Friday, December 08, 2006

Jesse Tree #7 Baby Moses, #8 The Plagues, #9 The Ten Commandments

Well...this is interesting...I had not followed Paul's stories through and just now I found out that he ends his timeline of Old Testament at the Joseph story.

So...today with Moses (Baby Moses) I did find this and apparently some work went into it, but once I was in I couldn't get out short of Control/Alt/Delete...so be warned about that.

If you liked reading Paul's renditions of Bible stories, you can email him and tell him here (scroll to the bottom of the link)

On to Baby Moses...

For dinner, we are having

little smokies wrapped in crescent roll dough (from the dairy section...you know Pillsbury crescent rolls?) (for the baby)

shoestring french fries (for the reeds in the water where Moses was hidden)

peas (no reason...I just have some)

those icky baby bottle candies where you put the bottle part in your mouth and then turn it over and dip it into something sprinkly...I hate stuff like this (if you don't know what I am talking about, look on the checkout at Walmart), but once a year I can stand it and the kids always love stuff like that.

We will probably watch the Veggie Tale that has the story of Baby Moses on it. If I find the exact one, I will come and amend this, but that is what we will probably do. Here I am again...The Veggie Tale with the story of Miriam and Moses is Duke and the Great Pie War. There is also a story based on Ruth and Naomi on this DVD.

We have a little basket that we will put on the the tree.

Next year if we do the Tower of Babel...you know, the one I left out and got heat for from the kids...we may leave out Baby Moses, but for this year it is in.

Here is the Biblical account...

Tomorrow is the Plagues, then Sunday is the Ten Commandments.

For the plagues, we are going to have chicken wings...I mean frog legs...I think if I take off that pointy piece of the wing I can talk my kids into thinking they are frog legs, don't you?

So frog legs,
would like to do grits for gnats, but I don't know if they would eat...
flies
animals died
boils
hail
locusts
death
brownies for darkness...if you are a real chef, you could sit them in a pool of raspberry sauce for the blood...My kids would probably love that idea.

If you have any thoughts for the above, let me know. No REAL locusts or anything though...just symbolic, thank you very much :-).

Here's the Bible passage.

At this point, if you wanted to, you could watch The Prince of Egypt. They pretty much end the story with the people leaving Egypt....actually I have to laugh at the end of that movie because it shows Moses coming down the mountain with the Ten Commandments...it's kind of a happy ending...but if you read the biblical account, he is about to walk down to Aaron and all the people dancing around a golden calf....and he burns the calf and grinds it up and makes the drink it...anyway, not really so happy about 10 seconds after the movie ends.

The ornament is a paper towel roll with little symbolic things from each plague...the paper towel roll to signify Moses' staff.

Sunday...the 10 Commandments.

We are eating cheesesteak sandwiches cut in half to look like the stone tablets.

Those big pretzel rods for the staff.

and Take 5 Candy bars with numbers written on the back...1-10:-)...you will need 5 bars (they have 2 small ones in each package)

The Bible story is here...

A few years ago we made little "stone" tablets from Sculpey. Decorated with Roman Numerals 1-10. We use one of those for our ornament.

whew! OK, probably too much for one day, but I am just thinking about this weekend and I don't know if I will get back in here...maybe...

Have a great weekend and don't forget to watch the finale of Amazing Race on Sunday night...woohoo woohoo!

4 Comments:

Blogger Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

Thank you for the encouraging Jesse Tree post! We too find this the highlight of our holyday season. To think of His Glorious Coming! Blessed to share the pilgrimage with you!

All is grace,
Ann Voskamp

9:45 AM  
Blogger Don said...

You have put a lot of work into this. Could you use raisins for flies?

There's something odd about eating pork (smokies) when you're talking about Hebrew food.

12:19 AM  
Blogger angela said...

Thanks Don for pointing this out about the pork...actually we used the Beef Smokies...I don't know why I have always done that.

And for hot dogs I always get beef, too...my mom always did...that's probably why.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Don said...

Hebrew Nation hot dogs rock! They are the best I've ever had!

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home