Tuesday, May 16, 2006

A Little Whine Before Dinner

So did you come here yesterday wondering where I was?:-) (Don't answer that...) Since there are a mere 8 days until school lets out, my children decided that they hadn't spent enough sick-time at home and needed to get some more in before May 24.

This is actually a sickness that I think I wouldn't mind having, if I had to be sick.

Fever
Headache
A little discomfort in the eyes
Tired

Where is the coughing?
The upchucking?
The general achiness?
The 25 gallons of mucus that seems to endlessly pour from one's nose?

I am signing up for this one next year...because with the fever, it's undeniable, but there's no other real downside.

So, in case I forget to say so tomorrow, don't forget that the Amaaaaaaaazing Race is on (tomorrow...not today)....The BIG FINALE! I will be at choir (and you probably should be, too) when it really shows, so I am going to set my VCR. It will be a melancholy evening, since there are two teams that I would have liked to win competing. And that icky Eric and Jeremy.

Since I did the Thursday Thirteen last week (Thursday;-)), I have visited a few other blogs...and I must say that while there are some that are a little more ...something....than I would want, there are some really pretty ones...interesting.....with features...like

100 things about me

Wouldn't you like to know 100 things about me?
(actually, some of these were good...)

Or places where you can look up all of my blogs on a certain subject....like dancing;-)...or all of my Thursday Thirteens...

I don't know if these are "pay" blogs, but maybe...When summer comes (for us in 8 days) I may have to investigate it. Or work on Vacation Bible School stuff...which is the first full week of June.

I went to a field trip last Friday...The Track and Field for the elementary school. My son, whom I will be referring to as "Darth", because of his love for Star Wars (I wanted to use "Handsome", which is kind of his Mom-given nickname, but he can read, and if he ever looks here, I would be in big trouble...but just know I am thinking that in my heart. Wish he liked Hans Solo...then I could just call him "Hans"...oh well, moving on.)is in the 4th grade, and being with those parents is not too bad. We are pretty close to their ages.

But when we went to watch our middle daughter, from this point forward referred to as "Mango" (because of the joke she and Greg have about her shampoo choice) in her kindergarten class, we were almost the oldest parents there. All these cute moms and dads with hip haircuts, wearing hip clothes, hip sunglasses...and all I could maybe be the most hip on was in fact, actual hips (maybe...I'm not ready to concede to that yet:-))

I have felt this before...and as much as I am enjoying all of the wisdom and mellowing (you know...all the inside stuff AND YES I DID SAY MELLOWING) that I feel I have done in the last 10 years, I can't say that I am ready to embrace this "look" of my outward appearance. I think I need to exercise..you know...tone up (have I said that before? It usually takes a few weeks of thought and discussion before I actually embark on some big lifestyle thing...it was the same with Atkins.)

"And it will only be worse when 'Todder' (this will, from this moment on, be the "name" for our youngest, as when you ask her if she is a baby, she says "No, my a todder") gets to kindergarten in four years." , I wail to my poor husband. While he is sympathetic, I think he thinks I am making too much of it (imagine!). And he thinks that some of what those young pups were wearing was "goofy"...

Yep...we're old.

But the real question is "Why do I care what they think?" Obviously, Greg thinks I am worth having around in my present state :-). My children think I am "soooooo pretty" (thanks, Todder and Mango) except when I am wearing my glasses and then I "look old" (thanks Darth---sigh). I think it is maybe the way I feel that I am regarded by those tanning-booth-strap-showing-smooth-skinned- younglings...like you might treat someone's mom...

"Yes, Mrs. Cleaver..."

It's probably not that way at all...probably just me. I was going through a few TT blogs yesterday and spent a little time at Loose Leaf Notes...Colleen and I were talking about blogs and how it feels when you don't get a bunch of hits and she said, "I think sometimes blogging can trigger our high school popularity program. You know, like no comments can feel like not getting picked to play."...

I think she's right. When we can control our environment, we can choose to be alone or with "our" group, but when we are out in the general public, we are subject to those feelings of the high school popularity contest. It's probably good to have those feelings come to the surface, though...because if they can come to the surface, they must have been somewhere deeper...hiding. Then we know on a conscious level that we have them and can decide whether to deal with them.

So, I am purposing...

to only take from the current trends the things that I think are cool and make me feel good about the change. Not silly or like I am trying to look 19...

to make sure I don't make any "goofy" changes that Greg doesn't find particularly attractive...

to think about who (and Who) will probably be in my life five years from now, and view their opinions as more important than those (real or imagined) the trendy passers-by...

But I still will start some kind of exercise pretty soon...Maybe when school lets out....in eight days.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My older son once said to me, "Ma you're getting old," and his younger brother thought he was insulting me and answered, "Oh yeah, then why is she still pretty?!"

I did my 100 Things in 4 installments and then archived them because I saw them on other blogs and discovered tht it can be a fun list to run down to get to know someone better quick.

11:28 AM  
Blogger angela said...

That is so sweet...and that's the kind of stuff you have to remember when they have used your best jewelry for an art project or something:-). I'd say you better keep that one:-)

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home